Saturday, April 30, 2011
May 7 - June 4, 2011
Opening reception: May 7, 7-9 PM
West Street Gallery is pleased to present the debut solo exhibition of work by New York based artist Van Hanos.
This exhibition is a selection from a set of 33 oil paintings on linen created as gifts for friends, colleagues, and mentors who have had a formative effect on the artist. Each will receive a work at the end of the show’s run. The paintings make tribute to people and dialogues stretching back to the artist’s childhood; some the artist has not made contact with in years.
Intentionally “attractive” and warm in tone, these paintings are in part devotional, while articulating a range of rules and attitudes. The works correspond loosely and variously to their subjects.
Each image is a detail of a painting previously made by the artist. This gesture continues the artist's ongoing effort to scramble his signature while upholding the singularity of painting. "Funny... This show isn't presenting any new imagery," says the artist. "[Making details] can be a way of not making paintings". He cites Bob Dylan’ s frequent inclusion of two versions of the same song on one LP, a process that separates singer from songwriter, and the process of songwriting. Instead, Hanos focuses on the time and difference implicit to the labor of painting.
Eric Firestone Gallery
East Coast Space
4 Newtown Lane
East Hampton, NY
ABC123 Group Show
Featuring works by:
JOSHUA ABELOW, JON BOCKSEL, STEPHANIE BRODY-LEDERMAN, CHRIS CACCAMISE,NANCY DWYER, ALFRED JENSEN, DEBORAH KASS, RON MOROSAN, LOREN MUNK, JOE NANASHE, DENNIS OPPENHEIM, KAY ROSEN, ED RUSCHA, LANCE RUTLEDGE and KAREN SHAW
April 23 - May 22, 2011
Opening reception: April 30, 2011
Friday, April 29, 2011
Thursday, April 28, 2011
MK: In Milton Glaser: To Inform and Delight, Wendy Key's 2010 documentary on your life, you briefly mention that you went abroad for a semester as an undergrad at Cooper Union, and studied in Bologna with Giorgio Morandi. Could you elaborate on what your experience was like?
MG: It's interesting. I always tell the story about Morandi and the fact that we essentially never spoke about art, and he never really reviewed or criticized one's work. He was teaching at the Accademia in Bologna, and he taught kids who had no experience with etching, or in many cases, who had no experience making art at all. He was a modest man. If he had been in the United States, he undoubtedly would be teaching some kind of master class in advanced painting, but in Bologna he taught the most basic introduction to the mechanics of etching. What I learned about him more than anything was his commitment to the idea of making art. Morandi was a man of incredible integrity. His work possessed him. He would teach a couple times a week, but then he would go home and paint the rest of the day, every day, until his death. He also enjoyed a good meal, and in Bologna he was fortunate to be in a place where the food is arguably the best in Europe. So - he liked going to nice restaurants. But besides that, he seemed to be a man with almost no personal needs except to make his paintings. And thank God for that. When I finally saw the 2008 survey of his work at the Met, I realized the extraordinary variation and development in his paintings more than ever. When you look at Morandi's work quickly, you think that it's the same thing over and over again. But you regard it with some attention, you discover that the range is fantastic. The modesty of the paintings and their lack of drama keep you from noticing at first. Later you feel changed by the experience, and you no longer look at the world the same way. The sense of attentiveness that art develops is one of the distinctions between what is art and what is not.
to read the full interview click here: link
Chaim Soutine, Woman in Red, c. 1923–24
Francis Bacon, Seated Figure, 1960
Chaim Soutine, Portrait of a Man with a Felt Hat, c. 1921–22
- ► 2014 (2355)
- ► 2013 (2375)
- ► 2012 (2356)
- "Blue James Dean," 2003, Keith Mayerson
- Van Hanos at West Street Gallery
- The opening of ABC123 at Eric Firestone Gallery in...
- TONIGHT: ABC123 at Eric Firestone Gallery in East ...
- "Seagull," 2007, Peter Mandradjieff
- Joan Jonas
- ANNE-LISE COSTE at SUSANNE HILBERRY
- Jamison Brosseau
- Photos from BEACH ON THE MOON at Wildlife
- Mark Grotjahn at Anton Kern
- REMINDER: BEACH ON THE MOON IS ONE NIGHT ONLY AND ...
- "Broadway at Night," 1910, Alvin Langdon Coburn
- Anna Kunz
- "Wrap," 2010, Matthew Rich
- Untitled, 2004, RICHARD FLEISCHNER
- "Milon Avery," 1961, Milton Avery
- Untitled Joke Painting, 2009, Richard Prince
- o.t. (blue), 2003, Ernst Caramelle
- "Edelweiss (Ausführung) VIII," 2005, HELMUT FEDERL...
- "Still Life (Natura morta)," 1961, Giorgio Morandi...
- Excerpt from Matt Keegan's interview with Milton G...
- "The Frog Prince," 1984, Otto Muehl
- Soutine/Bacon at Helly Nahmad Gallery
- The artist Harry Jackson
- Nathlie Provosty
- Ben Berlow
- "There Is Enough Art In The World Already," 1990, ...
- The Rose-Colored Room at Overduin and Kite
- Alex Mackin Dolan
- Charles Bukowski: nowhere
- One Dozen Paintings, April 20 - May 20th, 2011 at ...
- "The Voyeur," 1979, John Stezaker
- Jeanette Mundt at Clifton Benevento
- Matt Keegan at D'Amelio Terras
- LUMINOUS FLUX OPENS SATURDAY, APRIL 3OTH AT REGINA...
- Closing reception for THE WORKING TITLE
- "Das politische Bild", 1968/2010, Michael Krebber
- Untitled, 1990, JOYCE PENSATO
- "Bad Guru," 2005, ADAM MCEWEN
- "Unidentified Male Figure," 1952, Andy Warhol
- "Light Brown, Dark Brown," 1964, Richard Tuttle
- Charles Bukowski: we must
- Frank Benson and Ken Price at Zach Feuer
- Thomas Fougeirol and Esther Kläs at CLEARING
- Studio visit with Robert Janitz in Brooklyn
- "Word Vitrine (Hollywood)," 2002, Bethan Huws
- "SLEEPWALKER," 1979, Eric Fischl
- "Marginalia (spigot head)," 1991, Ida Applebroog
- Franz West at Galerie Eva Presenhuber
- Dianna Molzan at The Whitney Museum
- "To See In the Dark," 2010, Patrick Brennan
- Untitled (three nudes), 1933/1934, Mark Rothko
- Milton Avery: Artist's Daughter by the Sea, 1943
- "NUDE ON A BLUE BACKGROUND," 1936, Henri Matisse
- "The Seven Year Itch," 1973, William N. Copley
- Untitled Nude (Madonna), 1979, Lee Friedlander
- Jasper Johns at Matthew Marks Gallery
- "Oil Shtick," 2002, Kay Rosen
- Logan Grider
- Julian Schnabel
- SWEEPING THE STUDIO
- Brice Marden
- “Spekulatius,” 1965, GEORG BASELITZ
- DARJA BAJAGIĆ
- "Face," 2010, RAFAEL FERRER
- MARK ROTHKO
- James Siena at The Pace Gallery
- PAPER A-Z AT SUE SCOTT GALLERY
- Elizabeth Murray at The Pace Gallery
- Cheryl Donegan and Tom Meacham at Nicelle Beauchen...
- Brian DeGraw at James Fuentes LLC
- “Time and Space #3,” 2011, Justin Samson
- Three portraits of Dora Maar by Pablo Picasso
- Last chance to see 'Stacy Fisher / Gary Panter' at...
- TAX DAY NEWS & SMOKE at The Emily Harvey Foundatio...
- Florian Morlat
- Mario Garcia Torres: Cover Letter
- NO DELEUZE, NO FLIP-FLOPS
- Gregory Fong at T293
- paintings + beer = Fist City
- Cosima von Bonin at Friedrich Petzel
- John Chamberlain at The Pace Gallery
- ONE DOZEN PAINTINGS opens TONIGHT at THE JOURNAL G...
- "Long, Long Shadows," 1993, Robert Vickrey
- "View of Maya," 1951, Forrest Bess
- Darren Bader
- Hayley Tompkins at The Modern Institute
- Richard Brautigan: When My Soul Didn't Love Me
- "Cowboy and Rope Ladder," 1932, Alexander Calder
- Charles Bukowski: moving up the ladder
- DAILY OPERATION presents: BEACH ON THE MOON
- TESSA PERUTZ at OFF HOWARD
- more pics from the opening of THE SHAPE OF THINGS ...
- "DOINGDEKOONING," 2008, Joshua Abelow
- Excerpt from JUST KIDS by PATTI SMITH
- Excerpt from C.V.J. by Julian Schnabel
- Julian Schnabel exits “Picasso and Marie-Thérèse: ...
- "Dog's head by a red tree," circa 1930, Edvard Mun...
- Snapshots on the ol' YASHICA by YOURS TRULY
- "Nu-Lines," 2010, Alice Channer
- "Antimony," 2011, Birgit Megerle
- Rochelle Feinstein at On Stellar Rays
- Scott Olson at Nordenhake
- CRIES & WHISPERS AT SAM LEE GALLERY
- Pics from the opening of THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO CO...
- Tracy Thomason installing her work at NUDASHANK, B...
- "Two Nudes," 1955, John Storrs
- great works at the Hirshhorn
- Blinky Palermo: Retrospective 1964-1977 at the Hir...
- EYES WIDE SHUT OPENS TONIGHT (THURSDAY, APRIL 14TH...
- Untitled (Face on Palette), 2007, Mark Grotjahn
- "Gossip," 1994, RICHARD PHILLIPS
- "Transparence 15 (Idylle)," 1927, Francis Picabia
- Untitled (Based on Primitive Blaze), 1962, Bridget...
- "Idee Fixe," 2009, Joe Scanlan
- "All Thumbs," 1996, Bruce Nauman
- "Mr. Coffee Monkey," 2011, Egan Frantz
- Patti Smith's poem for Janis Joplin
- Heidi Hahn
- restore. renew. A benefit event for Japan at BLUM ...
- "Triple Portrait of a Jeweler," circa 1530, Lorenz...
- "Hillary Clinton from Vile Affections," 2008, Dawn...
- Tisch Abelow by Daniel Heidkamp and Daniel Heidkam...
- KAGAYAKE drawing for Japan at CANADA
- "Sliced Cube No. 2," 1998, Gareth Jones
- "Please Leave The Goldfish Alone," 2006, Sarah Ell...
- "Juliet & Margaret Nieman," 1945, Man Ray
- Tax Day News & Smoke: The Emily Harvey Foundation
- ABC123 at Eric Firestone Gallery in East Hampton, ...
- The now-famous 1951 Life magazine photograph of th...
- Frederic Tuten and Ross Bleckner (Part 1/2)
- Richard Prince: DE KOONING
- "This Could Be a Place of Historical Importance," ...
- "Paternal Pile (Don't Touch My Stuff)," 2008, Ted ...
- My bedroom cira 1988
- Elizabeth Murray at THE PACE GALLERY
- Open Studios at The Marie Walsh Sharpe Art Foundat...
- "Torte in der Sonne (Fancy-Cake In the Sun)," 1970...
- John McCracken in front of "Aurora" at an exhibiti...
- Shamus Culhane in a photograph from about 1932
- Anthony Pearson/Jonas Wood at UNTITLED
- "Modern Paintings No. A26 (green, purple, blue and...
- "101 lbs.," 2009, MiYoung Sohn
- Leon Polk Smith at Washburn Gallery
- John McCracken at Castello di Rivoli
- Untitled (Don’t look down), 2011, David Shrigley
- Sick! Curated by Meghan Carlton and Max Wolf with ...
- MARTIN CREED AT GAVIN BROWN'S ENTERPRISE
- Wynn Chamberlain, via New Museum
- "Snuff," 2011, Samuel T. Adams
- Daniel Heidkamp and Tisch Abelow in my studio
- Ella and Ben visit Abelow Headquarters!
- "Eighties Bather," 2008, Ella Kruglyanskaya
- Untitled, 2008/2009, Max Brand
- "Self-Portrait in Room at the Villa Medici," 1817A...
- Blake Rayne
- Alfred Jensen: artist's statement, 1977
- "Pod Series: Requiem for a Dying Year (after Thore...
- Yngvild K Rolland at American Package
- Untitled, 2010/2011, Nikolas Gambaroff
- "Muse and Model," 2011, Monika Baer
- "The Working Title" at the Bronx River Art Center
- "F.R.-K.D.-00," 2000, DIRK BRAECKMAN
- "Beatles on Beatles," 2011, Jason Fox
- "The Scream on Beach," 2010, Rose Marcus
- "Love poem to the bicyle," 2011, Lauren Raheja
- "IT DOESN'T GET BETTER," 2010, John Giorno
- Studio visit with Michael Berryhill in Brooklyn
- Anthony Pearson/Jonas Wood at UNTITLED
- The Shape Of Things To Come at NUDASHANK, BALTIMOR...
- ADDICTED TO HIGHS AND LOWS AT BORTOLAMI GALLERY
- An interview with Jeffrey Scott Mathews
- EVERYBODY KNOWS...ELIZABETH MURRAY
- Studio visit with Cheryl Donegan
- Friedrich Schröder-Sonnenstern at Michael Werner G...
- Unpainted Paintings at Luxembourg & Dayan
- A reading by Ed Steck // Sikkema Jenkins & Co. // ...
- Studio visit with Wendy White in Brooklyn
- Jashin Friedich: IT
- Ross Bleckner painting a painting
- "Snowflake Painting," 2011, Hugh Scott-Douglas
- "Yelling," 1993, John Wesley
- Untitled, 1948-50, Francis Picabia
- "Die wendumb, signed: sonnenstern's gestalten," 19...
- "Anyone Can Paint!," 2002, Matthew Higgs
- "Almost There," 2008, ANNA PARKINA
- Mai-Thu Perret at David Kordansky
- ANOMALISTIC URGE at Vaudeville Park
- KENNETH NOLAND at MITCHELL-INNES & NASH
- Richard Prince, Larry Gagosian and Terry Richardso...
- Saul Fletcher at Anton Kern Gallery
- GUMPTON at ZieherSmith
- Jonathan MONK at CASEY KAPLAN
- Uwe Henneken at Andrew Kreps Gallery
- The Andy Monument at Union Square
- MEMORIES ARE MADE OF THIS at Museum 52
- "Cosmos," 1984, Andy Warhol
- Seth Price at Galerie Chantal Crousel
- Cosima von Bonin at Friedrich Petzel
- Joan Semmel
- Studio visit with Andrew Guenther in Brooklyn
- Joe Fresh Style packs a zesty punch at LG Fashion ...
- "In the Wild, No Dice," 2010, Lauren Portada
- Brian DeGraw at James Fuentes LLC, April 6 - May 8...
- Inside the studio of Kris Chatterson...
- "The Future," 2010, Jonathan Monk
- Untitled, 2011, Sebastian Dacey
- ▼ April (208)