THE ARTIST'S DUTY
So it is the duty of the artist to discourage all traces of shame
To extend all boundaries
To fog them in right over the plate
To kill only what is ridiculous
To establish problem
To ignore solutions
To listen to no one
To omit nothing
To contradict everything
To generate the free brain
To bear no cross
To take part in no crucifixion
To tinkle a warning when mankind strays
To explode upon all parties
To wound deeper than the soldier
To heal this poor obstinate monkey once and for all
To verify the irrational
To exaggerate all things
To inhibit everyone
To lubricate each proportion
To experience only experience
To set a flame in the high air
To exclaim at the commonplace alone
To cause the unseen eyes to open
To admire only the abrsurd
To be concerned with every profession save his own
To raise a fortuitous stink on the boulevards of truth and beauty
To desire an electrifiable intercourse with a female alligator
To lift the flesh above the suffering
To forgive the beautiful its disconsolate deceit
To flash his vengeful badge at every abyss
It is the artist’s duty to be alive
To drag people into glittering occupations
To blush perpetually in gaping innocence
To drift happily through the ruined race-intelligence
To burrow beneath the subconscious
To defend the unreal at the cost of his reason
To obey each outrageous inpulse
To commit his company to all enchantments.
- ► 2014 (2388)
- ► 2013 (2375)
- Commercial Psycho curated by Will Benedict @ Andre...
- Ellen Gronemeyer @ greengrassi
- Home Again, Again @ The Journal Gallery opens Tues...
- Ella Kruglyanskaya @ Gavin Brown
- GROUP SHOE @ GAVIN BROWN
- BRIAN SCOTT CAMPBELL
- REMINDER: ELLA KRUGLYANSKAYA & GROUP SHOE @ GAVIN ...
- Excerpt from The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hem...
- Soloway Presents: O BONY ORBIT, Film Screening Jul...
- Loredana Sperini
- THE MYSTERY TREND @ WALLSPACE
- Untitled (Sails), 2012, TED GAHL
- MARTIN CREED: LOVE TO YOU
- Martin Soto Climent @ Kunsthalle Winterthur opens ...
- Matthew Smith @ Lüttgenmeijer
- Georg Herold @ Galerie Max Hetzler
- Benjamin Butler @ Galerie Martin Janda opens Tuesd...
- VIVA LA RASPBERRIES @ Harris Lieberman opens Thur...
- ONE DAY AT A TIME @ PERES PROJECTS opens June 30th...
- IDEAL POLE, Part Three @ RAMIKEN
- "Frog Substitute, Yellow," 2010, Henning Bohl,
- Excerpt from The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hem...
- Jack Lavender, Oliver Osborne, Marco Palmieri @ Th...
- Eli Ping presents Regina Rex
- REMINDER: ENTER TO WIN THIS ORIGINAL DRAWING BY SP...
- DANIEL HIGGS @ JAMES FUENTES
- Jack Vickridge and Lizzie Wright @ Nicelle Beauche...
- Jack Spicer: A Poem Without a Single Bird in it
- Richard Brautigan: 1942
- Me at age 4!
- GINA BEAVERS @ JAMES FUENTES (PROJECT ROOM)
- Ruby Neri
- HAPPY MONDAYS: LAZY ITIS
- Henry Codax, Virginia Overton, Kyle Thurman @ Offi...
- Charles Bukowski: the Master Plan
- Canʼt Stop Rock Lobster @ Shoot The Lobster openin...
- DOGMA @ METRO PICTURES opens Thursday, June 28th
- You Know? @ Altman Siegel opens June 22, 2012
- ARIEL PINK'S HAUNTED GRAFFITI: FLYING CIRCLES
- "Advertisment for 'Norine,' 1925, René Magritte
- "Self-Portrait as a Tree," 2002, Joshua Abelow
- ELLA KRUGLYANSKAYA AND GROUP SHOE CURATED BY JOE B...
- David Korty @ Kimmerich opens Thursday, June 28th,...
- KENNETH PATCHEN: BE MUSIC, NIGHT
- Katarina Burin @ Ratio 3 opens Friday, June 22nd, ...
- Michael Berryhill: Incidental Western @ KANSAS
- JOSHUA SMITH
- Family Business presents Megabodega, a Zine Mart a...
- Sean Kennedy and Chadwick Rantanen at UNTITLED ope...
- Charles Baudelaire: Get Drunk
- "UR" opens Sunday, June 24th @ Room East
- Group Show @ West Street Gallery — Opening June 22...
- Ella Kruglyanskaya: Woman! Painting! Woman! @ Gavi...
- Ellen Gronemeyer at greengrassi opens Thursday, Ju...
- Sorry We're Closed @ Art Basel: Bernard Buffet
- Allison Schulnik @ Mark Moore Gallery
- HALL and OATES: OUT OF TOUCH
- How do it know? @ Essex Street
- B-Out, curated by Scott Hug @ Andrew Edlin Gallery...
- KENNETH PATCHEN: THE ARTIST'S DUTY
- Stretching Painting @ Galerie Lelong opens Thursda...
- VISION QUEST @ NICOLE KLAGSBRUN opens Thursday, Ju...
- IN THE PINK @ JOE SHEFTEL opens Thursday, June 21,...
- HAPPY MONDAYS: COUNTRY SONG
- "Crude Idol," 2011, Denise Kupferschmidt
- IDEAL POLE part two: All Words Destroy, a reality ...
- PINOT NOIR @ TOMORROW opens June 23rd, 2012
- PAINTING NOW @ GALERIE EVA PRESENHUBER
- Kelley Walker @ Galerie Catherine Bastide
- Creative Growth @ Rachel Uffner Gallery opens Thur...
- Yngvild K Rolland
- Stewart Uoo / Life is Juicy / opening June 22 @ 47...
- Inner Sleeves: Ajit Chauhan & Coracle Nestjob @ SV...
- Fükengrüven @ Bodega
- Daniel Higgs @ James Fuentes, June 17 - July 25, 2...
- HOT TIME TUB MACHINE @ CANADA, June 21 - July 28
- David Ostrowski & Jack Henry @ NUDASHANK
- Untitled, 2010, Ella Kruglyanskaya
- Peradam at Printed Matter June 23rd, 2012 2-6pm
- PETER WILLIAMS
- "Woman Before a Fish Bowl," 1922, Henri Matisse
- "Journey on the Fish," 1934, Max Beckmann
- "The Aquarium," 1951, Georges Braque
- Excerpt from TROUT FISHING IN AMERICA by RICHARD B...
- Untitled, 2012, Joshua Abelow
- THE CURE: OTHER VOICES
- Charles Bukowski: helping the old
- "Man Smoking a Pipe," 1900, Maurice de Vlaminck
- PAUL WADDELL @ NIGHT GALLERY
- James Clarkson @ Rod Barton
- "Renvers," 1980, Joe Baer
- THE KINKS: RING THE BELLS
- "Shepherd in the Evening," date unknown, Ernst Lud...
- "Rural Scene," date unknown, Mark Rothko
- "Melancholy," date unknown, Edvard Munch,
- "Boy Blowing Bubbles," 1869, Edouard Manet
- "A Luteplayer Carousing With A Young Woman Holding...
- "Dancer," 1914, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner
- Rachel Harrison @ Greene Naftali Gallery
- Jess Fuller @ Martos Gallery
- Charles Bukowski: it's ours
- GINA BEAVERS @ JAMES FUENTES - COMING SOON!
- "To do away with ideas (Wlodzimierz Pawlak)," 2011...
- "KNIFE," 1965, PAUL THEK
- SCOTT KING @ HERALD ST
- Fredrik Værslev @ Indipendenza Studio
- "It's H. I .M.," 2012, Henry Taylor
- NEW WORK BY JEFFREY SCOTT MATHEWS
- PARTIALLY BURIED, Opens Sunday, June 17th @ JTT
- "Missy Misdemeanour (The Vomiting White Chick, Ril...
- "ATTACK," 1977, Charlotte Johannesson
- "Apples," 1949, Ellsworth Kelly
- ALEXANDER SPENCE: BROKEN HEART
- "Irony of Negro Policeman," 1981, JEAN-MICHEL BASQ...
- Bernard Buffet: “La Mort” (Death)
- Charles Bukowski: no help for that
- Ghosts Before Breakfast @ White Flag Projects
- "Arcrobats," 1932, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner
- "Two Monkeys in the Jungle," 1909, Henri Rousseau
- THE FEELIES: EVERYBODY HAS SOMETHING TO HIDE (EXCE...
- JACK HENRY AND DAVID OSTROWSKI @ NUDASHANK opens S...
- “World War III Around My Skull,” 1996–1997, Rita A...
- "Black Bust," 2012, Daniel Gordon
- How do it know? @ ESSEX STREET opens Friday, June ...
- RICHARD BRAUTIGAN: A BOAT
- Miroslav Tichý
- NICOLAS PARTY
- "Déchirure," 2006, Aloïs Godinat
- "Lesen (Reading)," 2011, Caro Niederer
- "Projected Foyer Table," 2012, Liam Gillick
- "Still Life," 1964, Alice Neel
- Its Endless Undoing @ Thierry Goldberg Gallery ope...
- BOB MARLEY: EASY SKANKING
- SOME FACTS ABOUT MANHATTAN @ SHOOT THE LOBSTER ope...
- Cosmo @ KLAUS VON NICHTSSAGEND GALLERY opens Frida...
- MATT PHILLIPS
- NEIL YOUNG: COMPUTER COWBOY (AKA SKYCRUSHER)
- "Contract," 2011, Stéphane Barbier Bouvet
- Nolan Simon @ 47 Canal
- "Tight on Canvas (Bridget)," 2010, Martin Soto Cli...
- Henrik Olai Kaarstein @ T293 Rome
- STRAIGHT UP @ FAMILY BUSINESS opens JUNE 4TH
- SCREW YOU @ SUSAN INGLETT GALLERY
- Aaron Curry at Michael Werner
- Scott Olson @ Overduin and Kite
- Aurel Iselstöger
- “Loch In Der Ewigkeit Da”, undated, August Walla
- "The Girl at Rat Mort," 1905, Maurice de Vlaminck
- Aidas Bareikis and Bill Saylor @ Shoot The Lobster...
- Paul McCarthy and Damon McCarthy: REBEL DABBLE BAB...
- Richard Prince @ 303 Gallery
- ▼ June (151)
- ► 2011 (2689)