Barbara T. Smith
December 1, 2012 - January 26th, 2013
Opening Reception: December 1, 6 - 9pm
805 Traction Avenue
Los Angeles CA 90013
Within the art world, we place high value on painting. We love it for its beauty, for its traditions, for its ease. In our contemporary world it is often seen as a decoration for our walls and as a financial investment for our portfolio. The pieces in this show dating from 1959-2012 disrupt this attitude, pushing the viewer to think beyond the accepted idea of painting. Most of these artists work outside of the art world and use paintings to explore their social, personal and artistic dilemmas. These pieces are deeply personal to highly controversial. Ignoring the accepted avenues of what is considered “hip” and “trendy”. There is a pursuit on the track of the ugly as beautiful. Some of these artists are playing with materiality of painting. Some are dealing with the conceptual idea of painting. Some are using painting to process and work through their internal battles be it with political concerns or in matters of their intimate lives. You will walk into this exhibition and be confronted with what seems to be a random collection of paintings, but there is a thread in that each of these artists has lived in the singular pursuit of art for 30 to 60 years. These are tailings of these lives. These artists pursued their art without the concern of the art market. They pursued their art to an extreme. These paintings are without definition. Enjoy.
- ► 2014 (2379)
- ► 2013 (2359)
- NADA POOL PARTY / Saturday Dec 8th, 2012
- ABELOW SCHMABELOW @ BRAND NEW GALLERY, MILAN
- VENUS OVER MANHATTAN
- JEREMY DELLER @ GAVIN BROWN
- Alex Katz @ Gavin Brown
- Carroll Dunham @ Gladstone Gallery
- Carroll Dunham drawing @ Nicole Klagsbrun
- Cleopatra’s Family Jewels
- Keltie Ferris @ Mitchell-Innes & Nash
- Greg Lindquist
- "Animal Vegetable Pop Music," 2012, Jeremy Deller
- LOVE IS NOT IN CONTROL @ New Jerseyy opens FRIDAY,...
- Roman Signer @ Galerie Martin Janda
- GROUP SHOW @ NICOLE KLAGSBRUN GALLERY opens Thursd...
- TAL R @ CHEIM & READ
- SETH PRICE @ PETZEL
- Thornton Dial @ Andrew Edlin Gallery
- POUNDO by Gene Beery
- Join VOM for FUCK - Betty Tompkins works on paper ...
- JOHN PHILLIPS: DOWN THE BEACH
- John Williams @ Brennan & Griffin opens Friday, No...
- "Woman is Walking over a Night Street," 1928-1929,...
- Untitled, 1962, Paul Feeley
- "Der Bachsänger (Helge Lindberg)," 1916, Johannes ...
- "Gaspe Pink Sky," 1940, Milton Avery
- "Two Children," 1942, Marevna (Marie Vorobieff)
- RICHARD PRINCE: WHITE PAINTINGS @ SKARSTEDT GALLER...
- KRISTINA LEE
- ANDY WARHOL EATING A HAMBURGER, 1981
- "Saigon," 1967, Peter Saul
- Torbjørn Rødland: Vanilla Partner Book Signing @ D...
- "Abstract Printing (Digital America)," 2012, Keith...
- Bjarne Melgaard @ Luxembourg & Dayan
- PAINTING @ THE BOX opens December 1st, 2012
- Aleksander Hardashnakov @ Martos Gallery opens Thu...
- Viktor Kopp @ Bureau
- Keltie Ferris @ Mitchell-Innes & Nash Opens Thursd...
- TRENTON DOYLE HANCOCK @ JAMES COHAN GALLERY, NEW Y...
- Jeff Elrod @ The Journal Gallery opens Thursday No...
- NATHAN DILWORTH @ PICTURE MENU, BROOKLYN
- Xavier Cha @ 47 Canal opens Friday, November 30, 2...
- "Boy With Frog," 2009, Charles Ray
- "Semi-Geometric Cup," 1974, Ken Price
- "Oval 1," 2012, Philip Hanson
- Excerpt from ASK THE DUST by John Fante
- le artist!
- The Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venezia
- ADRIANA LARA @ Algus Greenspon
- Diet Piece "A crying pig's eye behind all the frui...
- Bill Hayden: Moving Chickens @ Real Fine Arts
- Untitled (I am the Mirror), 2012, Dr. Lakra
- Occupy Sandy Benefit at Santo's Party House
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
- James Hoff: Milking the Flat Cow @ Callicoon Fine ...
- House of Voltaire @ Jonathan Viner
- MARIA WALKER: FIVE POEMS FOR AND FROM THE STUDIO
- Caitlin Keogh @ Leslie Fritz opens November 30, 20...
- ALEX HUBBARD: BENT PAINTINGS (WHY HORSES PAINT) @ ...
- "Nevis," 2010, David Salle
- Jordan Wolfson: Raspberry Poser @ REDCAT
- "Cold War Painting 12," 2012, Johannes Wohnseifer
- Nolan Hendrickson, Eddie Martinez, JP Munro @ Zach...
- RYAN SIEGAN SMITH @ JOHAN BERGGREN GALLERY
- Ben Gocker's "Hot Potato" @ New York City
- GINA BEAVERS: PALATE @ CLIFTON BENEVENTO
- Tomoo Gokita @ Bill Brady KC
- Jon Pestoni @ David Kordansky
- GENE BEERY
- Shai Yehezkelli: Forever Sweat-Beads @ Julie M. Ga...
- CAROL BOVE
- Matt Connors: A Bell is a Cup Book Launch at MoMA ...
- BOYS NEXT DOOR: SHIVERS
- MICHAEL BUTHE @ GALERIE THOMAS FLOR
- GENE BEERY: ARTIST BOOKS
- OUT OF THE BLUE @ Bortolami opens TONIGHT, 6-8pm
- Pennacchio Argentato @ T293, Naples
- Ryan Foerster @ Martos Gallery
- "Statue of Liberty," 1962, Andy Warhol
- ROBERT HOLYHEAD @ KARSTEN SCHUBERT
- Nikolas Gambaroff: Tools for Living @ Overduin and...
- Alfred Boman
- Alexander Wolff @ Blanket / Cologne
- Angel Otero: The old lansquenet is laughing at us ...
- "Revolutionary Hardcore Formula VIII," 2010, Linde...
- "work! #3," 2012, Oscar Murillo
- Peter Piller @ Capitain Petzel Gallery
- TAL R @ CHIEM & READ
- ALLIE PISARRO-GRANT
- Mark Sengbusch @ Storefront Bushwick, Project Spac...
- WIRE: MANNEQUIN
- Lizzi Bougatsos and Thornton Dial @ James Fuentes
- Jeffrey Kessel @ Thierry Goldberg
- Alice Channer: Cold Blood @ Lisa Cooley
- Joshua Neustein @ Untitled
- Pieter Schoolwerth @ Miguel Abreu Gallery
- BERND RIBBECK @ ALISON JACQUES GALLERY
- WIRE: FRAGILE
- Zak Prekop @ Thomas Duncan
- ▼ November (191)
- ► 2011 (2638)